A seasoned intellectual property attorney can be instrumental in process of successfully receiving a patent by the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
The owner of a patent registration is empowered to have exclusive rights to use or sell a product for a limited time. The patent holder is legally protected against the duplication of an original invention.
Patents exclude anyone from copying or using your idea, and there are three different types, each with specific protections:
- Utility, which are by far the most common form, are issued for the invention of a new and useful products, or new and useful improvement thereof.
- Design, which protect the specific appearance and features of a product.
- Plant, which permits its owner to exclude others from making, using, or selling a reproduced plant.
Patent Registration in Boca Raton
If you have an idea or invention that you would like to bring to the masses, it is highly recommended that you get a patent for it. The following are steps in how to properly register and protect your subject matter:
- First, write down your idea and all its details. It is not sufficient to just have the idea in your head.
- Make sure the product is not already patented. You can do this by searching the U.S. Patent and Trademark office (USPTO).
- Next, create a prototype for your invention; this also assures you that your invention works as expected.
- File an application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. This is a lengthy and complicated legal document and it is best that you consult with an attorney or legal professional to submit the right paper work. Usual procedure is to begin with a provisional patent and ultimately conclude with an exclusive patent.
Contact the Expert Boca Raton Patent Attorneys of Lomnitzer Law Firm
There is no denying that the proper registration is a complex legal matter that requires expertise. The Lomnitzer Law Firm, P.A. has specialized attorneys on staff with the experience necessary to properly represent your interests through the process of registration and protection against infringement.
To inquire further about how the attorneys at The Lomnitzer Law Firm, P.A. can assist with registrations and any other intellectual property matters in West Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, or any surrounding areas, please contact us regarding your specific matter.